Monday 6 May 2013

Designer Study: Tim Marrs

Tim Marrs is a British graphic illustrator, commonly recognized for his work with Nike. He studied at Central St Martins, leading art school, and has since produced work for international brands such as Pepsimax, KFC and Radio Times.

It didn't take much for me to fall in love with his graphic style... I took one look at his website and that was it - just look at this background!


I really love his ability to seamlessly merge typography with his hand-rendered images - he selects typefaces carefully to compliment the style of his illustration, as well as combining some computer-generated shapes. This is a style I've always loved - especially this montage of urban images with colours that work really well together.


This image is one he produced for Top Gear Magazine including some really nice photography. I particularly like the vivid colours and the abstract representation of the car's past exploding from the back of the car. I actually find it somewhat difficult to take my eyes off this one - I can't put into words how much I love it!

This image was printed in the music section of The Guardian, April 2007
Really I just love how well this image fits together; he always manages to give his work a simple feel while not leaving empty-feeling space! I like all the little textures he uses here and there to make his work look complete and to personalise his style.

Album cover for Appeal To Reason by Rise Against - an American punk rock band.
I love the slightly chaotic layout as I think it portrays the mood and feelings of the band itself, being punk rock! But my favorite part ever is the little silhouette of a foetus whose umbillical chord runs into an electrical plug - mostly because the idea is so genius but also because, after a little research, I think it represents what the band is about really well! And all the subtle parts... so small but equally so important and well thought out!


No comments:

Post a Comment